YA Feature: Introducing YA author Nichole Chase


Hey! This week on Reading Away The Days I would like to introduce, YA author Nichole Chase! Nichole recently debuted her YA novel, Mortal Obligation! Please if you have time leave Nichole a nice comment and check out her book, Mortal Obligation!

A little about Nichole and her writing journey so far!

First I would like to thank you for having me on your blog. I love getting to meet new bloggers and readers. Okay, about me: I am a stay at home mom to one adorable, rambunctious toddler. If that wasn't enough to take up my time I spent my free moments writing, reading, or painting.

My secret dream in life has always been to publish a novel. I have so many stories in my head that were demanding to be put on paper (or computer screen), but it seemed like such an unattainable goal that I was afraid to even tell people. Well, I guess the secret is out now! I left my job in a medical office in February of this year to be a stay at home mother. It gave me time I needed to focus on a project I have started and never finished. Mortal Obligation went live on July 30th and I have never been happier. It has taken a lot of hard work and determination, but I finally held my book in my hands last month. There was nothing quite as satisfying of rifling though the pages of a book I had slaved over. I also have a flash fiction piece that was chosen for the The Pink Snowbunnies in Hell Anthology, which is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords. The best part of the anthology is that all of the profits go to helping local animal charities.

As for people that inspired me, I would have to say J.K. Rowling, Anne McCaffrey, Piers Anthony, Tamora Pierce, and a million other authors. Also, my husband and my sister have been my greatest supporters. Without them propping me up when things looked bleak, I may not have gotten this far. They're my Writing Wardens. There were certainly bumps along the way, but anything is achievable if you work hard.

You are the author of Mortal Obligation (The Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #1), could you tell me a little about it.

Mortal Obligation is the first book in The Dark Betrayal Trilogy, and it is set in Savannah, GA. The story revolves around Ree and her friends as they are thrust into a dark and dangerous world. There's action, paranormal elements, intrigue, and romance. With a healthy dose of angst thrown in for good measure. All of the things I want to read about.

Where did you get the idea for The Dark Betrayal Trilogy?

I was driving through the historic district in Savannah, GA, and listening to Evanscence when a scene popped into my head. Almost like a music video. (In fact a lot of my story ideas are inspired by music) I saw Ree (the main character in Mortal Obligation) looking over her shoulder at something coming for her. What really started the cogs turning in my head was the look of determination on her face. I knew instantly that it was a turning point for the girl and I had to know what was going on.

I like the cover for Mortal Obligation who designed it and did you have much input into the designing of it?

Thank you! Actually, I made the cover with some help from my mother in law. I paint, as does my mother in law, so I think that gave us a small advantage. I had a rough idea of what I wanted to create and scoured photo sites for just the right model. There had to be enough pictures of her to create the three novels in the trilogy and she had to have the right look. Once I had all of the photos, my mother in law (who knows alot more about photoshop that I do) sat down and worked on the cover until it was just right. We went though a ton of little tweaks before I was finally satisfied. The truly amazing part was that we both survived the encounter. LOL. (I almost feel sorry to tell her we have to make the second cover soon)



You have had high praise on goodreads for your novel, how does it feel that everyone seems to be loving it?

Is that a trick question? *looks around suspiciously* Um, good? Great, actually. I don't want to say its shocking, but it is a little bit. I guess I am a glass half full kinda gal, it just seems to good to be true! I can't explain the pleasure I feel when someone says they have enjoyed my book or love my characters. There is nothing quite like knowing that I have created something that other people find exciting. It's mind blowing.

Why should we read Mortal Obligation?

If you like paranormal romance and urban fantasy stories, then Mortal Obligation is right up your alley. it's gritty, it's serious, but with lighthearted moments, and romantic angst. And if for nothing else, read it for the setting. Savannah, GA, is a character itself and one worth knowing. There is know doubt in my mind why so many people have used this beautiful Southern city as the backdrop for their book or movie.

Are you working on any projects at the minute?

Yes. I am currently working on Book 2 of The Dark Betrayal Trilogy. Mortal Defiance is scheduled for editing in mid November and should be available before Christmas. After Book 2 comes Book 3 and then onto the next project!

Nichole's Book History!

Favourite book as a child and why?

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein. I read this the summer between 4th and 5th grade. An epic fantasy were the hero is a short little man with giant hairy feet. Even if you don't like to read, it is a sure bet that you have heard of the Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings. It is a household name for a reason.


Favourite book as a teenager and why?
I can't choose just one. Really, I'm surprised I can narrow it down to just three series. In the hand of the Goddess: Book two of The Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce. The protagonist is fighting to keep her place in a male dominated society. She is special in so many ways, but no one finds out just why she is so special until the end of the book. The Dragon Riders of Pern series by, Anne McCaffrey. The world she has created immediately captures your imagination. I can't tell you how much I want my own dragon! Then of course, there is the Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowlings. She is such an amazing and inspriational author. If you haven't watched her commencement speech at the Harvard graduation, run and watch it now. Seriously! It's a large part of why I love her so much. Besides being a kick butt woman, she created a world with a little boy that stole my heart in less than two paragraphs. I was hooked, like a junkie. I could barley stand the time between each installement.  
book cover of 
The Dragonriders of Pern 
Dragonflight, Dragonquest, the White Dragon 
 (Dragonriders of Pern)
by
Anne McCaffrey
Favourite book you have read this year and why?
Defiance by Lili. St .Crow. If you haven't already, the Strange Angels series is a must read. It is a dark, gritty, and enthralling world. Lilith Saint Crow (as she writes under for her adult novels) is a master story teller, with tough, kickbutt heroines. Have I mentioned the hotties in the book? Because Graves and Christophe are mouth watering!
A book that has taught you a lesson and how?

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but In the hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce taught me that it was ok to be myself, short comings and all. And that if we work hard enough and were persistan, anything was accomplishable.


A book you would recommend to my readers?

Hm! I am currently reading an ARC of A Hidden Fire by Elizabeth Hunter. I am throughly enjoying the characters and the mystery that she has created. It will be avaiable in October 2011. If anything I would recommend that readers give Indie and Self published authors a shot. Thre are alot of really talented writers that weave worlds worth getting lost in.


Thank you so much to Nichole for this awesome interview. Mortal Obligation is avaiable now in Ebook via Amazon , Smashwords and Barnes & Noble ! It is also avaiable in paperback via Amazon .

Don't forget to check out Nichole's blog , website , facebook and twitter !


















No comments