Introducing: YA author Fisher Amelie (YA Feature #5)


Hey everyone! Lets welcome this week's new YA author Fisher Amelie to Reading Away The Days! *claps* Fisher is the author of a new YA supernatural romance series, The Leaving Series. The first novel in the series, The Understorey, was released just a few days ago!

Without further ado, lets welcome author Fisher Amelie and show her some commenting love and check out her debut novel, The Understorey!

The Understorey (The Leaving Series)

*Title of Book: The Understorey, Book One of The Leaving Series
*Genre: Supernatural Romance
*Release Date: June 15th, 2011

*A short description of The Understorey (Book one of The Leaving Series)

Elliott Gray is incomplete, scrambling through the dark on his hands and knees, blindly feeling for the switch it would take to bring the peace he's forever been searching for.

Julia Jacobs is unhappy, missing a noticeable piece of her soul, a naked canvas with vivid paints at her disposal but no brush to assemble the vision.

At a young age, courtesy of an unknowing Elliott Gray, Julia tastes the burn of heartache and since then, has silently vowed to her heart that it would never be susceptible to such pain again but when Julia and Elliott discover they share a supernatural connection that's never been revealed before, Elliott makes it his life's goal to convince her they are fated. He knows, if she only gave him but one chance to prove himself, she wouldn't be afraid. But just when things seem to be moving his way, Elliott's best friend Jesse Thomas turns out to be much more than meets the eye and it's all Elliott can do to hold on to his new love, while attempting to survive an enormous threat on their future.


Fisher's writing journey so far:

I'm a part-time online marketing copywriter of the most awfully boring dribble on the internet and I'm not kidding. I can't tell you how often I've fallen asleep at my desk writing about advanced dentistry or some other equally boring subject but most importantly, I'm a full-time mama to absolutely the most adorable little boy ever born, and, brace yourself because this is utterly awesome, a full-time writer of young adult novels. 

I've always written, for literally as long as I can remember, I've always written. I used to scribble little stories as a kid in notebooks and stuff them in my closet and eventually in high school, penned several shorts after becoming obsessed with George Orwell. If you've read my book, you could have probably already guessed as much but it wasn't until recently did I decide to fashion my ideas in novel form.With each major life event, birthday, anniversary, or national holiday, I would write poems to my friends and family as gifts and for years, my lovely, and I'm not being sarcastic here, mother-in-law, would encourage me to write. It was because of her that I took the plunge and I'm not even sure she knows that. Hmm, maybe I should mention that juicy tidbit? Earn some brownie points. She makes the most brilliant brownies

Writing novels, to me, has got to be the best job ever invented by God. I mean, honestly, it is a constant bombardment of overwhelming and extraordinary emotions and, ask anyone I know, you can utterly define me by the emotions I feel. I get butterflies and supremely giddy when one of my characters kisses another for the first time, I cry when my characters cry, I laugh when they laugh and I thrive on it. I'm a sponge for emotions. They allow me to soar and dip to new and exciting highs and lows. They are my drug of choice and, oh baby, what a wonderful high.

*Where did you get the inspiration for The Understorey?

I was reading a lot of paranormal romances at the time and they were all written from the female's perspective, which is fantastic and it helps me relate well but I really wanted something different. I wanted to read a story from the perspective of the male, wanted to feel what the male felt, hear him describe what the girl meant to him and, oh Lord, did I love what my main character Elliott ended up feeling for Julia. He made me swoon for him. It was unexpected and I'm so glad I did it.

*I love the cover of The Understorey. Who designed it, did you have much input into the way the cover art was designed?

goroobix.com designed my cover for me. They asked me what the story was about, then asked what my expectations were. My only demand was to 'make it pop!' and they did just that. When they showed it to me I gasped. Gasped! It represents Julia's and Elliott's gift so well and they just did a fantastic job with it. Incidentally, they also practically did my entire book trailer for me. They encompassed the undertone of the book so well in the cover and the trailer. They're just so incredibly talented.



*The Understorey is part of The Leaving series. How is work coming along with the next book in the series? 

The second book of the series won't be completed for a little while. I'm currently working on another book whose main male character is also oh-so-yummy and as soon as it's completed I plan on continuing The Leaving Series with its second book, The Canopy. 

*How many books will be in the series? 

The Leaving Series is a total of four books but the third and fourth books will be released together as one. They are The Understorey, The Canopy, and The Undergrowth and The Emergent. 

*What is the hardest thing about being an author? 

Time! There's never enough time! I've found myself infatuated with Hermione Granger's Time Turner necklace. Oh! What I wouldn't give!


* Why do you write YA? 

Why wouldn't I!? They have the best readers and the best story lines. So much fun

* Why should we read your book, The Understorey?

Because it's awesome. Only kidding, or am I?

Finally some quickfire questions:

*Summer or Winter? Winter. It smells like love to me. Plus, you're forced to get close, always a plus.

*Night or Day? Night, for the same reasons I choose winter.

*Movies or Music? Music, baby. Music. Nothing can sway the heart like a little music.Wait, is the film starring Bill Murray?

*Fiction or Non-Fiction? Has anyone ever answered non-fiction? If they did, they're lying, probably trying to appear cultured or intelligent. So, non-fiction.

*Favourite colour? Olive Green. Is that weird? Nevermind, I don't care. I love that color.

*Favourite destination?Nosara, Costa Rica. The waves! The wonderful waves!

*Favourite writing place?A dark corner.

*Favourite book? This is the equivalent of asking what your favorite food is. Depends on the ol' mood but if I had to choose on penalty of death, I'd choose...Charles Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby. Tragedy to happiness. It leaves me content.

Finally three things you would take with you if you were stranded on a desert island?
A satellite phone, a martini and my Kindle. See you in a few, Coast Guard. Bring some music. We'll party it up.

Thanks to Fisher for the wonderful interview!

The Understorey is avaiable now though Amazon , Smashwords or Lulu

Where Fisher hangs:
Twitter: @fisheramelie
Facebook.com: www.facebook.com/fisheramelie

*Fisher is hosting a "Fisher Amelie Loot Bag Contest"! When you like her facebook fan page or follow Fisher on twitter you are automatically entered in the contest. The Loot consists of all sorts of goodies, including a signed copy of The Understorey! So get following NOW!!




5 comments

  1. Great interview, Megan and Fisher! I look forward to reading the series :)

    Cara R. Olsen
    A writer's quirks and commiserations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this posting! It's nice to hear about awesome super-mom authors. Totally want to read about Elliot now...:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Interview! :o)

    TAG! YOU'RE IT! Megan, I wanted to let you know that I tagged you on my blog - come on over and see what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds great! Thank you for following my blog I love your blog! Great posts (: Oh and thank you for entering the giveaway and putting my buttons on your page, much appreciated (: Look forward to discussing books with you :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds amazing , deffo on my must read list

    ReplyDelete